What is Community Housing?
Community Housing is housing for people on low incomes and or households/individuals with special needs and is an important area of social housing provision and provides a housing alternative that is affordable, secure and safe; encouraging tenant participation in the community.
Active aims to achieve the following Community Housing goals:
- Treat all tenants and applicants with respect and dignity
- Ensure that the cost of housing does not add hardship to tenants lives
- Maintain the safety and security of housing in partnership with tenants
- Provide a variety of housing options to people looking for long term affordable accommodation
- Provide equal access to Community Housing and not discriminate towards individuals regardless of their circumstances and provide fair treatment to all tenants relating to tenancy issues
- Respond to the changing needs of tenants with fairness and creativity and ensure stability of housing is maintained where possible
- Be accountable to stakeholders, namely tenants, applicants, community and the board
- Ensure that appropriate services responses are provided to tenants and benefit the housing sector as a whole
- Work hard to provide quality housing options and services
- Work in partnership with other agencies to develop and promote housing approaches
- Seek partnerships in the future and work with agencies to pursue affordable accommodation alternatives