Bendigo Project Update – Project Complete and Tenants Settled In
The Victorian government provided $1,880,000 in June 2012 to Active to construct two duplex dwellings. Each duplex dwelling comprising two by two bedroom units to house people with disabilities and one attached unit to serve as office and sleepover accommodation for rostered support staff.
The homes are situated in California Gully, Bendigo. These homes have been built for people with a range of disabilities.
Six tenants moved in over December 2014 – January 2015. They have now settled into their new homes in the Bendigo community.
The project is a three way partnership involving Active Community Housing Ltd (housing provider) Golden City Support Services (service provider) and DHHS head office and regional staff.
The construction and design was built around the needs of clients and staff in terms of accessibility, visitability, safety and high level amenity. The dwellings were constructed to comply with the Victorian Shared Supported Accommodation Standards and Liveable Housing Australia Platinum Standard.
This is has been an exciting project achieving high quality housing where people with significant disabilities have generous sized homes with on-site staff who can provide a very individualized support model in dwellings designed with client and staff needs in mind.
Project Update – Work commencing December 2013.
Active Community Housing is pleased to announce that work will commence on this project in December 2013 with expected completion in June 2014. Our confirmed project partners include:
- Bill Mitsoulas and Associates who have been appointed architect and project manager.
- JW and JA Williams, building contractors.
- Golden City Support Services who will provide the 24 hour on site staffing to support our residents to live in the community.
- The Victorian Government and the Department of Human Services who have provided the funding for this vital project.
The Active Community Housing Bendigo project a major initiative to provide long-term, high quality and affordable accommodation for five young people with disabilities. The project involves construction of two duplex style developments in Bendigo.
Our partner on this project is Golden City Support Service, a Bendigo-based organisation with long-term experience and expertise in supporting people with disabilities to live full lives in their local communities. Both duplexes will have staff units attached, so residents can access 24-hour support when they need it.
The accommodation will offer each client private internal and external space, encouraging visits and interactions with family and friends while also minimising any impact from the behavior or noise of others. This accommodation can either be permanent or prepare clients over time to move into more independent community accommodation.
Bendigo Project Overview
This project is designed to accommodate and support five young people with disabilities in two duplex format developments. Both duplexes will have staff units attached providing 24 hour staff support to the residents. Our partner is Golden City Support Service, a Bendigo based organisation with long term experience and expertise in supporting people with disabilities to live full lives in their local communities.
The accommodation design responds to the need for these clients to have their own private internal and external space particularly as they can be impacted upon by behaviours or noises of others.
The site designs will aim to provide:
- 24 hour on site staff support
- Long term high quality affordable accommodation for clients with disabilities
- Tenants will have their own internal and external and private space to maintain and enhance family and community support by giving clients their own private space to have visits and interaction with family and friends
- Accommodation which can be permanent or prepare clients over time to move into more independent community accommodation